Image source: Joe Shlabotnik on Flickr
The New York Times’ 6th Floor blog published a great collection of photos from 1977 of Forest Hills’ West Side Tennis Club, just in time for the start of the 2012 US Open in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. 1977 was the last year the club hosted the US Open.
The photos were taken by Russ Adams, a sports photographer who has been covering tennis for 40 years. They show the (still standing) 14,000-seat stadium, and it’s a bit startling to see thousands of people converging on and temporarily taking over Forest Hills. The crowds were big.
The Times also published pictures of the West Side Tennis Club as it stands today, 35 years after its final US Open. The club – which is about to celebrate its centennial anniversary soon – moved to Forest Hill from the Upper West Side in 1912. It still has an active membership of approximately 850 members, and still hosts big tournaments like the Women’s and Men’s National Grass Court Championships.