Bacon…beer…baseball…be there! After taking rookie-of-the-year honors in 2014, the second annual Bacon and Beer Classic returns to Citi Field on April 25. Part of a traveling show hosted at Major League stadiums across the country (when the home team is away, of course), this Flushing feast will feature bacon-infused products from about 50 local restaurants and suds from local breweries, along with interactive games, cooking demos, and music. More details and a photo demonstrating the beauty of beer are on the jump page.
Community Board 7 has approved changes for the RKO Keith’s Theater redevelopment plan, according to Queens Chronicle. The plan includes, according to the Chronicle, “269 condominiums rather than rentals, a 15-foot height increase of the building to better accommodate mechanical equipment inside and 323 parking spots created with vertical carousels and stackers, as well as a redesign of the facade.” (The original design is rendered above.) The new facade includes glass with an angled skylight above the entrance, so people will be able to look in at the landmarked ticket lobby and grand foyer.
Plans for the project will move to the Board of Standards and Appeals this summer, then construction is expected to last 30 to 36 months. Once on the market, condo prices will start at $400K and go all the way up to $2 million. The finished development will also include retail space and a senior center.
To see the entirely wrecked state of the theater now, go here.
The word “taiko” can refer generally to a genre of Japanese percussion, but it can also refer to a specific wadaiko drum. Found in Japanese folklore dating back to the sixth century, taiko can be part of everything from a theatrical performance to a religious ceremony to a form of communication. This Sunday, one of the world’s foremost taiko ensembles will perform in Queens, and the host is offering tickets for only $6 each. More information and another photo on the jump page.
Check out this awesome video from Matthew Silva and AquaRela Pictures of the second lighting test held at the New York State Pavilion. The first test was held in late February.
The tests are part of a $5,806,000 restoration slated to upgrade the structure’s electrical system, rebuild the staircases inside the Pavilion’s three towers, and repair the concrete platforms supporting the observation decks at the top of each of the towers. The hope is that the illumination will draw attention to the historic World’s Fair structures and help raise interest for restoration and reuse.
Flushing is one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse communities in Queens, so it should come as no surprise that the oldest Reform Synagogue in the borough is located here. The Free Synagogue of Flushing was founded in 1917 through the efforts of the Hebrew Woman’s Aid Society of Flushing.
The Free Synagogue Movement was begun in Manhattan by Rabbi Stephen Wise in 1906. Rabbi Wise came to NYC from Portland, Oregon, to “organize and lead an independent Jewish religious movement.” He established a congregation in Manhattan which soon had over 500 members. They were able to purchase a group of brownstones on W.68th St. which were torn down to build the first Free Synagogue in 1911.
Between 1914 and 1920, branches of the Free Synagogue were established throughout the city, in Westchester and New Jersey. The Flushing synagogue was one of those branches. (more…)
You might think San Francisco and Flushing have absolutely nothing in common, but they do share something. Way over in the extreme western end of Flushing, between College Point Boulevard, the Van Wyck Expressway, the Long Island Railroad and the Kissena Park Corridor, there’s a cluster of small streets unnoticed except by their residents and the people who work there.
One of the north-south streets is called Haight Street, the same name as the anchor street of San Francisco’s counterculture mecca, the Haight-Ashbury District — more colloquially, just The Haight. The Forgotten NY camera recently investigated both districts, and the contrasts are as different as the West and East Coasts.
Come and see where the smell of incense fills the air and where the smell of the Flushing River suffuses the nostrils …
The Flushing developer F&T Group, behind both the Flushing Commons and One Fulton Square development, just filed Department of Buildings permits to begin construction on 2 Fulton Square. New York YIMBY reports that this permit is for a 190,000-square-foot, 13-story and 192-unit residential building. It’ll be only a small part of the development which will include much more residential, retail and office space, as well as a hotel and parking.
Pictured above is a conceptual rendering by Margulies Hoelzli Architecture — it’s still unclear if the actual development will end up looking like that. We love that undulating design, though, and it’d be great to see it come to life.
It’s known as the “beggars’ opera,” but it’s more of a boisterous musical. It was written in Berlin in the 1920s, but it takes place in Victorian England. It offers a socialist critique, but is defined by capitalist norms. And it features acid harmonies that mock traditional opera, but its opening number is one of the most recognizable, most sweet-sounding songs of all time, “Mac the Knife.” More information on jump page.
The historic house at 33-37 163rd Street in the Broadway-Flushing district of North Flushing, which is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, is now on the market. Queens Gazette reports that Amorelli Realty has been tapped to sell the home, although the asking price was not revealed. The firm has experience selling historic properties such as the Steinway Mansion.
The property, known as The Ferrigno House, was named after former residents who were the founding members of the Broadway Flushing Homeowners Association. According to the Gazette, “The home still retains much of the original woodwork and architecture from when it was originally built more than 90 years ago.”
After becoming a professional dancer and choreographer in 1954, Paul Taylor has enjoyed a long and influential career, shaping a distinctly U.S. style of modern dance. In 1993, he established Taylor 2, a modern dance unhindered by technical limitations and spanning a broad spectrum of his original work, including his sunny Aureole, and his serious The Uncommitted. This Saturday, Flushing Town Hall hosts a performance of Taylor 2 with a pre-show, interactive workshop for those who want to learn how to move like Taylor.
Bonus details: Storybook Discovery: The Luck of the Irish at the Voelker Orth Museum, Bird Sanctuary, and Victorian Garden, 149-19 38th Avenue, Flushing, March 14th, 11 am, free with $5 suggested donation. This venue hosts a monthly reading for children. This Saturday’s event focuses on tales of leprechauns and shamrocks.