According to legend, Whitestone takes its name from a large offshore rock where tides from the East River and Long Island Sound met; in other accounts the name is in honor of the White Stone Chapel, erected by townsman Samuel Leggett in 1837. For a time, Whitestone was known as Clintonville, after NYC mayor and NY State Governor DeWitt Clinton, who lived in the area. Both Leggett and Clintonville are recalled in area street names.
DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828) was one of early New York’s pre-eminent politicians, serving in the NY State Assembly and as a state Senator (1798-1811), US Senator from New York (1802-1803); NYC mayor (1803-1815) NY State Governor (1817-1822) and ran unsuccessfully for US President as a Federalist against incumbent President James Madison in 1812. DeWitt Clinton lived in Queens County, primarily during his time as mayor, in a mansion near Newtown Creek in Maspeth that burned down in 1933, though he had a summer house in Whitestone. While he was NYS Governor, Whitestone became known as Clintonville in his honor. Though the neighborhood became “Whitestone” again during the 19th Century the name is remembered by the lengthy Clintonville Street and Clintonville Playground.
Clintonville Street, looking south from 10th Avenue, looks like a main street in any smaller town just before entering the central business district. The blue St. Nicholas dome, though, gives it away as a metropolitan artery.
Muss Development just arranged a few leases at at the Francis Lewis Boulevard Shopping Center, in Whitestone. First off, they signed a family-friendly restaurant, “The Boulevard,” to take up 4,000 square feet in the retail center. The Boulevard will open by the end of March and serve up American cuisine with an Italian twist. It’ll also have a full-service bar and high-definition televisions. Greg Massa, who oversaw operations at Parkside Restaurant in Corona, will run the spot. Secondly, Muss renewed the 13,500-square-foot lease for CVS Pharmacy. The pharmacy has been in that location since 2002.
Whitetone residents should keep an eye out: Muss expects a 4,000-square-foot parcel adjacent to CVS Pharmacy to become available for lease in the second quarter, and they plan to fill it with a new tenant.
The home at 1-06 Samos Lane, in Whitestone, just hit public records for $3,563,875. According to this old listing, the single-family home was built in 2004. It holds five bedrooms and 6,350 square feet. We can’t find much more information or photos of the interior. Google Maps does show, however, that it is located right along the waterfront. And according to this website, it looks as if the home was asking $3,995,000. It got pretty darn close to ask! GMAP
With its blue dome, the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church at 14-65 Clintonville Street is one of several surprising architectural gems among the tract housing of Whitestone. At first glance, it appears to be two large Quonset huts making an “X” shape, topped out by an onion dome in one of the purest shades of blue imaginable.
As for Clintonville Street, it is is so named because it runs through a section of Whitestone that used to be named for DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), an early New York State polymath who held every important political office save Vice President or President. He served in the New York State Assembly and as a State Senator (1798-1802; 1806-1811); as U.S. Senator from New York (1802-1803); as a three-term New York City mayor (1803-1815); as New York State Governor (1817-1822); and indeed ran unsuccessfully for U.S. President as a Federalist against incumbent President James Madison in 1812. Among other accomplishments, his influence was elemental in getting the Erie Canal constructed.
DeWitt Clinton lived in two of Queens residences, particularly during his time as mayor. His mansion in Maspeth stood on today’s 58th Street north of 56th Road until it burned down in 1933. He also summered in Whitestone — the part of it close to the East River at about 151st street, 7th Avenue and Leggett Place. (more…)
Patsy’s Pizzeria will be opening its first location outside of Manhattan at 21-64 Utopia Parkway (GMAP) in Whitestone, Queens, sometime in April. The famed pizzeria originally opened in 1933 in East Harlem and has four other Manhattan locations. Owner Frank Brija declares, “This will be the best pizza to hit Queens in 100 years.”
That’s quite a claim. So we decided to take a look at the other revered pizza joints in the borough to see what Patsy’s will be up against:
New Park Pizzeria in Howard Beach (GMAP) is a Queens original, established in 1956. Devotees from all over the city agree that Queens has the best pizza after they’ve tried a New Park pie.
Your Own 50 Foot Private Beach With Spectacular Views, Large Rooms Throughout, Large Yard For Pool, Ceramic Tile Floors, Perfect For Large Or Extended Families. Attic Can Be 5th Bedroom. See This Property »
Complete Brick Semi-Detached Colonial Located On Midblock. Very Close To Shopping, Subway, Public Transportation & School. Well Maintained And Tastefully Furnished/Decorated, Four Bedrooms, 1.5 Baths, Living Room, Formal Dining Room, Kitchen, Eat In Kitchen, Skylight On Second Floor. See This Property »
Here is a roundup of properties we’ve featured on QueensNYC this week. There are two co-ops, a condo, and a house in the communities of LIC, Astoria, Bayside, and Beechhurst.
2-26 50th Ave, #7I, Long Island City, NY 11101 (GMAP) - This 1 bed/1 bath condo at The Yard in LIC is priced at $650,000. One of the thoughtful elements in the building is the use of reclaimed wood from old rail yards, used in the building’s lobby. There is also art hung in the building’s hallways. The kitchen is small but upscale stainless steel appliances are installed. Other amenities include an entertainment room, outdoor garden that includes hopscotch, swings and a see-saw, and a landscaped roof deck with barbecue pits. The location is about equidistant between the Vernon-Jackson 7 subway station (just one stop to Grand Central) and the Hunters Point East River Ferry dock. Gantry Park is also just a block away.